Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Orphanages in Siem Reep



Unlike Phnom Pehn, Siem Reep had slews of dance performances. Many of them were hosted by orphans in trade for some much needed funds. Just hours after arriving in Siem Reep, a volunteer dropped a pamphlet of one such performances her orphanage was hosting the following evening. It was obvious these kids had some serious skill, and most of them enjoyed the gifts they had to share. We were served traditional Cambodia fare, as we watched their dancin feet. The moneys they earn, three nights a week via the performances they host supposedly go towards their food, shelter and education. It was very difficult to eat, knowing they didn't need to share their food with us. I kept pushing it away, and they kept insisting.


Orphanages in Cambodia thrive off of overseas volunteers. I had heard that many parents actually drop their kids off at a nearby orphanage, knowing hat they will get free education in such things as dance, English, Math, sewing, and other skills they can capitalize off of when they are of age. But where are the Cambodian workers? Where are the Cambodian volunteers? Where are the parents? What happens to the children when they leave the orphanage? Where EXACTLY is the money going? The performance I attended brought in at least $200 USD. At least. With three performances a week, thats some serious money in Cambodia. So...why are the kids barefoot? Why are they sleeping in a hut with no real bathroom? What medical care do they receive when they need it? Why wouldn't the orphanage “mom” introduce herself or bid for their fare? Why was she “standoffish”? Why was she wearing gold earrings? As I said before, I was faced with an ethical dilemma common in Cambodia. Sure—these kids obviously needed some help. Who's responsibility is it? Does it matter in the end? Getting no answers to the above questions, except “I don't feel comfortable asking where the funds go” from one of the volunteers, led me to the conclusion that by giving more (in time, expertise, etc.) I might actually be adding to the already existing problem in the larger scope of things. I did not expect that. But, I had to trust my gut. So, I paid for the dance performance I saw, and bid them good luck. Maybe when they get their website up and running, and become more transparent
in their accounting and care, I will give more. 
For now, I just enjoyed the dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment