Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Emerald Jungles & Rice Paddy Magic-The Nin Bihn Whirlwind








I don't care what anyone has to say, one can never get enough of the drama evoked by these jettisoning emerald karsts. So, I hopped a bus/boat/bus ticket to the town of Nin Bihn. Sitting just 2 ½ hours southeast of Hanoi, this quaint little town charms the travel-weary visitor; many intend on a pass through approach, yet stay a week. I would have as well, had I had planned my Vietnam excursion better and purchased a two month tourist visa instead. Regardless, I landed having met another amazing person along the way. We dumped our bags at the cute “mini” hotel next to the train station, and hopped on some moto taxis to explore one of the nearby Pagodas. Our 15 minute ride took us out of the urbanity, and into the surrounding rice paddies. Like emerald carpet lining the floor for the claws of the dragons that must have once roamed this land, the rice was planted right up to the feet of the 5000 foot-high karsts.


Moments later, I was mounting the vacant Pagoda, for the sunset view from up on high. Panoramic extravaganza! Coming down, I had a moment of silence, being the only person left, at the highest of the three cliff-carved pagodas. At the Pagoda's edge, I turned. Silence stopped me, the dusk robbing the peaks of their luminescence, one by one. My eyes centered on a little meditation cave carved just above the exit to the second cave pagoda. It took me. I could hear the Buddhist chanting, feel the serenity of their unseen presence. THIS is a spiritual place. I am Here. Here I Am.


Spirits abounding, our hotel owner insisted on taking me (I was firm about it being us-but I suppose he has to make an effort at a beautiful single woman like me (?)) out to the local Nin Bihn brewery for the evening. In Vietnam, every town brews their own beer. In Hanoi, one drinks “Ba Hanoi”, in Cat Ba its “Ba Cat Ba”, and here in Nin Bihn, you guessed it, its “Ba Nin Bihn”. Each one is similar to a heffeviesen (I think), but with a slightly different taste. Needless to say, that night was another steal as my English friend, her friends, and the hotel manager sipped Nin Bihn's tonic on the lakeside into the wee hours of the morning.


Sleep was short. I arose early, convinced I must arrive at Tam Coc before the tour bus masses do. Again, we scooted into the surrounding rural life, and I hopped one of the first Tam Coc paddle boats to skirt the river's ribbon. What-a-ride.

I couldn't help but try... :)


Having spun us in circles, my personal cheaufer took the reigns again 
for the remaining 1 ½ hour ride back.





Enamored by its' beauty, I couldn't resist the final destination of Mua Cave. My flashlight died, and without a backup, I went above instead. This is the real reason I had come here. 575(ish) stairs up the side of this kharst, this holy site has THE best views of them all. Again, I had beat the crowds, and stood solo above this Nin Bihn wonderland. Yoga on a mountain top? YEAH!







1 comment:

  1. Great post! 575ish steps? OUCH! What a beautiful and special place -- just like you!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete