Saturday, May 7, 2011

Once a mountain girl, always a mountain girl--Sapa


“Good morning! You look bright-eyed, beautiful, and bushy tailed!” said my cafe waitress as she recited the “must knows” from her “English for restaurant and guesthouse owners” manual. I had just sat down for a tea break in the Sapa garden the day I arrived; a huge garden with overlooks of the entire village of Sapa tumbling under it's encircling mountains. She couldn't resist, and I had time to kill. So, the impromptu English lesson pursued.


An hour later, I departed for my hawk's eye view of this charming mountain town. The experience was topped with a performance from a performing arts troupe, showcasing some of the many hill tribes' traditional dress, song, and folk dance. Bamboo poles slapped the ground as parasoled ladies and flutist men burreed here and there. I could see the French influence in the dance here (**amazing**). It was complete with pas de deux, partnering work, arabesques, and chaine turns--all of which were accented with the occasional silken fan and bow shaped instrument. Welcome to Sapa!


No comments:

Post a Comment