Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shopping? How can I?--Around Ubud




I have been spending a majority of my time cruising up the roads surrounding Ubud to find the actual craftsmen artistrating their works on the barren concrete floors with dentist tools and wire. In doing so, one escapes the rather touristed center of Ubud, complete with its thrice upmarked prices for the same goods. Passing through everyday Balinese life brings snapshots of women with some of the many daily offerings she makes for the community, and women working in the fields. And then there are the men, chillaxin at the local warungs. Hmmmm... :)

One would think it would be rather easy to pick the way through the shops lining the village streets to pick up a few items. However, each time I have gone, I am left defeated and empty handed. The problem is that EVERYTHING is SOOO well crafted, with such skill and love. And, each store has more or less the SAME stuff, and looks nearly identical on the outside. For instance, I went to the bone carving village or Tampaksaring. One could spend
 months walking up and down the miles of street, lined with one carver after another and their accompanying wares. There were times when I found something I really liked that I was unable to find somewhere else. However, these were often unsalable samples, intended on encouraging one to commission hundreds of identical pieces for crazy bargain prices for exportation. And, finding the store again could take another week. Also, with only my necessities in life strapped to my back, I am constantly taking into account the weight of each and every item added. How can I shop?



Really, life's all about the journey and the relationships that see you through it. Not the gold, mirrored buddha heads, stone-carved ganeshas, or silken batik dresses one finds along the way.
The real bonus on each venture is the panoramic view of rice paddies and the ecosystems encased within, with a massive volcano (Mt. Batur?) abruptly rising from the terraced greens beckoning both intimidation and awe.





1 comment:

  1. Lovin your journey Jen !!! Thanks for sharing it. xoxo Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete