Saturday, April 2, 2011

Water washes away


The Magical Mystery Tour with Jojo on my second day on arrival to the Ubud area led us to an authentic Balinese experience few tourists will find and even fewer will live. We hooked up with some of his friends who were venturing forth to a sacred water temple not far from our housing. What they neglected to tell us, was that this temple was unknown to even many of the locals. Off the beaten path, it took years for even our guide, their friend, to be able to find it. They also neglected to tell us of our need to bring sarongs, one for bathing in, and one for praying in. Suckered into purchasing two batik sarongs, I had some reservations about what exactly we were getting ourselves into. Past travels have jaded me in this sense, for the better and for the worse. Nevertheless, we were on our way, hoping it wouldn't cost me any more to attend the temple. My worries were tampered upon our arrival to a deep ravine with mossed stairs winding down down down to waterfalls and sculpted faces hidden amidst the jungle.

Donning the traditional sarong, and pulling my hair back (“as a sign of disipline”), I tiptoed with the others into the water. We were the only people there.

Depth brings beauty. Plunging headfirst into the cold waterfall caused instantaneous tightening of my neck, shoulders, face and arms. I pushed further into the rock, laying my belly into its mossy surface with each breath, cupped my hands in my face, and opened my eyes. Cool serenity enveloped me, erasing all tension. Present. Spirit. Healing. Here.



Just before our last prayers at the water temple, an old psychic/temple dweller said with a smile...”you forgot something”. We all looked after our belongings, and nodded no. Again, “you have forgotten something”. No, I had my stuff. Besides, he hadn't been with us. “You forgot something”.

Our evening ended with coffee at our guides house. It was here that I learned that I hadn't been duped. This was a traditional, Balinese experience worth every penny I paid for the sarongs. He charged us local prices (not upmarked by our touristed shells). It was here I learned his wife purchased, prepared, and performed the customary blessings for us on the eve of our venture. It was here, I learned Gooday (our guide) had purchased the incense, flowers and palm-leaf woven blessings we used to pray with at the temple. It was here I learned friend, Jill, had forgotten her ring.




1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm at a loss for words, as I'm sure you were...I can only imagine the magic and awesomeness of this experience. so glad you're having an amazing time! say hi to Jo JO for me! love you!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete