Monday, March 28, 2011

I found my Avatar

Walking home late at night with my Dutch friends from one of the many beach swarays so often thwarting the beach's solitude, we grazed the lick of the tide looking for any sign of luminescent phytoplankton. And there! A star's reflection or phytoplankton? There, but a glimpse of one...then another ...and a third! Like elusive fireflies in the deciduous forests of the Midwest, these plankton beckon one to follow their magic. We all succumbed to temptation, and swam. Plumes of phytoplankton in only 4 feet of water lit our bodies up with every movement. Each ocean-slowed step produced a wave of neon green while illuminating the surface of my thigh, knee, ankle and foot, sprinkling phytoplankton straight off my toes, like a superhero. Whoa. Paired with slow movements of the arms grazing the surface of the ocean, small glitters accented the angel-like choreography below. And then, she swam. Giggling the whole time, I was mesmerized. Udit's swimming splaying ribbons of luminescence just one foot below the darkness of night. Like glistening snow angels in motion.

Ladies and gentleman, I found my avatar.





No comments:

Post a Comment