Monday, March 28, 2011

Sea Snake or Moral Eel?



The idea of breathing underwater is genius. Words are difficult to come by for describing the sanctity and serenity of holding one's head straight in the water, wearing goggles, and being able to breath and swim with the fishes. Did we ever have gills? Why would we leave them behind? Seems like such a remarkably adaptive ability to be able to emit bubbles. And fins! What about fins!!! So cool to be able to float in the ocean, inches above coral, coasting through schools of tropical neon fish without making too many ruffles and waves on the surface. Well, for now, I bow to the gift of a blue and orange plastic snorkel. I guess I need to thank China.

My first ever snorkeling experience taught me how little of the world I have seen. What discoveries fly under the surface of a seemingly calm low tide! I stayed in water less than 3 meters deep, feeling a sense of wariness when the fishes became blurred by the clouds of sand and further depths. I saw fish I am only used to seeing in an aquarium and pet store—angel fish larger than a grapefruit, schools of little neon shiny fish, and many many black and white, zebra striped fish, occasionally accompanied by their yellow and black bumble-bee striped counterparts. Wow. What a world!

The next day, a new German friend and expert snorkeler Stephan insisted on swimming with me further out where live coral had survived last year's scorching hot water temps. Giddy inside, he showed by a blow fish just off shoreline. Further out, there were basketball sized fish, mostly parrot. I could hear them eating the coral—a symphony of percussion instruments to guide my way! Perched on a few underwater rocks not far offshore, were some live sea anemones? Or coral?, housing two clown fish!!! Yes, kids, I found Nemo!!!

Soon thereafter, Stephan insisted on trying his snorkel goggles (I had my swimming tinted goggles, so was forced to pinch my nose). What a difference a clear lens makes! I had to go back out to see what I missed! That was when I found a dairy cow colored moral eel? Sea snake? Hahahaha...can you tell I live in the Midwest?

Snorkeling is a new found love. And it feels good.

1 comment:

  1. I remember my first snorkel in the Keys, angelfish, grouper, and baracuda...love, Dad

    ReplyDelete